IN CASE A FLEX ALERT IS CALLED
The state of California issues a Flex Alert when there is extra strain on the power grid, reminding people to take extra steps to conserve energy. Here are a few things you can do if a Flex Alert is called. Sign up to receive Flex Alerts.
- Turn off unnecessary lights
- Postpone using major appliances until after 9pm
- Adjust your thermostat to 78 or higher or use a fan
BE PREPARED FOR A POWER OUTAGE
It is easy to plan ahead and stock up on necessary supplies in case you lose power. The Energy Providers of Southern California recommend the following items to have on hand in case there is a power outage:
- First aid kit – In addition to the usual items, also include prescription medications and make sure to check the expiration dates.
- Bottled water – Experts recommend a gallon per person per day.
- Flashlight & batteries – Store them where you can easily find them, even when it’s dark.
- Non-perishable food – Choose items that do not require cooking or heating.
- Manual can opener – Keep this on hand to open the non-perishable food.
- Coolers or ice chests – Have a few to store ice in case of a lengthy outage.
- Special needs items – This includes items for infants, the elderly, or the disabled.
- Battery-operated or hand-crank radio – To access news reports.
- Fresh batteries – For all battery powered equipment
- External rechargeable battery pack – To charge cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Non-cordless phone – To plug in during power outages.